How could something as simple as beaten egg whites and sugar become something so tasty. This recipe is great whether for small elegant meringues for an afternoon tea or the base of pavlova style dessert.
This recipe is enough meringue to make a Pavlova for 8-12 people. To scale this recipe (up or downsize) the general rule of thumb I use is 57g Caster Sugar for every 1 Egg White.
4 Egg Whites
1/2 Tsp Cream of Tartar (optional)
228g Caster Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC and line 1 or more baking sheets with baking parchment. Outline the shape of the meringue you want to make on the parchment as a guide
- Whisk the egg whites on a medium to high speed until they form stiff peaks.
- (Optional Step) Add the cream of tartar and continue to whisk.
- Add the caster cugar a tablespoon at a time and continue to whisk until fully incorporated(leave 5 seconds between adding each spoon of sugar)
- Spoon or pipe the meringue mixture onto the baking sheets in the desired form (small meringues or one large pavlova).
- Put in the oven and immediately turn the oven temperature down to 130ºC
- Bake in the oven for 1+ hours until the meringue is baked through (crip and dry).
- Turn the oven off and leave on the baking sheet in the oven until the oven is completely cool.
- Store in an air tight tin for a couple of days
Posts that have used this recipe (or something similar):