Victoria Sponge Recipe
This is the simplest and quickest cake recipe I know (with the least washing up too). Simply bung all the ingredients into a bowl and off you go. Note that I have tried this recipe with butter but have found you get the best results using margarine e.g. Stork.
FOR THE SPONGE:
175g Self-Raising Flour (sieved)
175g Caster Sugar
3 Large Eggs
1 Tsp Baking Powder
FOR THE FILLING:
300ml Double Cream
3 Tbsp Raspberry Jam
- Pre-heat the oven to 170°C (fan oven).
- Grease two 20cm (8inch) sandwich tins with melted butter. Line the bottom of each tin with baking parchment.
- Put all the ingredients into a mixer and combine together on a medium to high speed until it forms a light smooth batter.
- Put half the mixture into each of the tins (roughly 300g per tin).
- Put in the oven for 20 mins or until the cake is a golden colour and is soft and springs back to the touch.
- Leave in the tins to cool for 5 mins (the cake should shrink back a little from the sides) and then turn out onto a cooling rack.
- Once the sponges have cooled, whip the double cream until it holds it shape.
- Spread jam on the top of the bottom sandwich.
- On the bottom of the top sandwich either use a piping bag or a palette knife to ‘apply’ the cream.
- Place the top sandwich on top of the bottom sandwich.
Posts that have used this recipe (or similar):